Friday, April 21, 2017

ITS THAT TIME OF YEAR


I think every post from the past 2 years contains a disclosure about 'coming out of retirement' so this one won't. Unless you count the last sentence. But no, don't do that, no. Let us progress together, you and I. Into the cosmic future.


As your number one source of extraneous Waxahatchee criticism, I felt a familiar tingle in my toes with the announcement of the band's 4th full length, Out In The Storm. "Finally!", I thought, replacing the moth balls around my notarized official p.s. eliot attire, "Another opportunity to convince myself I still enjoy Katie's artistic output!". But ultimately - like the thrill of assuming a new 'alternative' identity - the veneer wears thin and I'm left with a pile of XXL Tommy Hilfiger tees and fitted Expire snapbacks - discarded for cardigans and acoustic guitar.

I really don't want to explain this for the million billionth time, but let's say you like boring. I'm here for you. Thus, blah blah blah, I was fangirl #1 for everything Katie Crutchfield ever wrote but then Cerulean Salt came along and slipped me a mickey. To clarify, that album is boring and sucks, and the allusion stops at me passing out from that. There's no nefarious aftermath to offend you. I held out for Ivy Tripp, but again, I found myself unconscious and wrapped around a streetlight whenever I played it. See, the 90's weren't very good. And, sure, I'm wrong, but the point is: I'd be happy to never hear a band reference lukewarm tap water like Liz Phair, that dog., Veruca Salt, or Last Splash-era Breeders ever again. Thus, my disdain for Waxahatchee, post-American Weekend.

So when I heard there was another album happening, I knew I had to hear it but kinda in that 'need to go to jury duty' way. Fortunately, I found this tidbit off the Merge Records page:
"At Agnello’s suggestion, the group recorded most of the music live to enhance their unity in a way that gives the album a fuller sound compared to past releases, resulting in one of Waxahatchee’s most guitar-driven releases to date."
"Color me intrigued", I didn't think to myself, though I actually was pretty intrigued. A main issue of mine with the last two albums was the sterility of the instrumental performance. Cerulean Salt was waaay more guilty of this, but they both carried this tepid, k-hole'd studio musician feel that had so little personality, it literally sucked personality out of your body like a collapsed star. I'm being really fucking obnoxious, but bear with me, it may stop soon.

"Silver" sounds surprisingly good. It's the first track released, and Katie's pretty double tracked vocals carry a melody that sounds seriously like something an old shoegaze band would write. I could honestly do without all the 'oooh oooh' stuff, and feel like the track would benefit from less clutter, but the riffs are intriguing, and most surprisingly, the lyrics are SO COMPREHENSIBLE TO THE LAYMAN. I mean, look at this:
If I turn to stone
The whole world keeps turning
I went out in the storm
And I'm never returning
Where's the word "ostentatious"? Or "proclivity" pronounced really weirdly? I've always loved Katie's lyrics, but these seem so bold in their relative accessibility.

This is getting way too long, but to wrap it up: I'm surprised. I actually really like this new song. I'm not expecting an emotional pummeling on the heels of American Weekend anymore, but I'd be thrilled to connect with Katie's music again. Let the leaking begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment